528 or 530

My current drive is a 89 535 but I think I need a cylinder head rebuild. Started looking at other cars and have a chance to get a '01 530 or a 2000 528.

Does anyone have info about the history of these engines?

Anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks for the help.

Your best bet might be to ask around some of the local shop (Chuck's Auto, and Bimmersport Automotive... they're in the wet end... Rexdale and Mississauga). Chuck and Charlie would be able to tell you what engine they see most of the time. But really, I don't think that any BMW engine is really that prone to anything major. Your 535 is 20 years old... so you can pretty much plan on any BMW engine lasting just as long.

PS, your 535 isn't a wagon is it? how many km's on her? (I'm looking for an E34 wagon)

jonnel540

both engines are used in a number of different car ie 3 series, 5 series.... but if i were you id go for the 530 because they changed the 5 series line up in 01 as far as headlights, vanos, etc good luck though, either way youll be happy. love my e39

tempestv8

The 530i would have a more developed version of the same inline six engine that is in the 528i. If I had to do it again, I'd still pick the 530i, not because I think that the engine is that much better but simply because the vehicle will look newer with the Angel Eyes and the widescreen NAV unit. I'm sure that performance wise, the 528i motor would be pretty close to the 530i.

Lawrance

bmwmedic

I JUST went thru this and decided firmly on 530, then looked only at them til I found one.
And yes, stick with 01 on. There were good changes and the 530 motor is significantly more powerful BUT has same or even better fuel economy. Plus the 530s have slightly more equipment since they were higher model.
Now your big question is sport or not sport!!