'98 Z3

Darla

My car suddenly decided to not start one day. Ever since then it has been starting up, but takes about three or four times of trying before it does. I thought it was the battery but guess it'd not start at all if it were.......any idea what it could be?

jsantoro

Darla said:
My car suddenly decided to not start one day. Ever since then it has been starting up, but takes about three or four times of trying before it does. I thought it was the battery but guess it'd not start at all if it were.......any idea what it could be?
I have the same model year and it was doing the same thing, but I realized I was giving it gas when trying to start it and when I stopped doing that, it starts fine. Have you tried keeping your foot off the gas when starting?

Darla

I don't give it gas when I'm trying to start it. It just started doing this but it eventually starts up and then drives just fine until I turn it off.

you may need to have somebody check the fuel presure. after sitting either over night or sitting for a few hours. the reason is that the fuel lines and components have check valves in them and they are supposed to keep a small amount of fuel presure in the lines for start up. If the fuel presure is being lost due to the check valves then you will have a longer cracking time, due to gas having to do from the pump to the motor it would take a couple of seconds for the fuel to travel that car and can creat longer cranking times. let me know if this helps. Also is you check engine light on.

Big Daddy

Both of my roadster have sat for four months when stored for the winter and never had this problem. They have started first time every time instantly when I brought it out of storage.