A few problems to solve on 85 735i

dalrex

Here are my problems, does anyone have solutions??
The first one concerns me the most - the engine runs rough, it will almost stall when I am stopped at a red light. it will run fine when it is first started for about a minute, then it will idle slower, then back up to normal, it does this at a regular interval (3-4 seconds). I had a tune up (plugs, wires, etc...) that did not solve it, then changed fuel regulator??, did not solve it. Mechanic said it is probably something to do with the cam? and requires alot of work (and $$)! Any ideas???
Also, low beams don't work, but high beams do (maybe a relay?)
And Cruise doesn't work.

Are there any common things that I should be checking. I am new to BMW, I bought the car, as is, at an auction (price was right!) so I don't really know a history of service or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dale

i would suspect the poor idle is due to an idle control motor that is carboned or defective..... i would attempt to clean it before replacing.... they are kinda spendy..... a good quality brake cleaner spray may fix it.... another less likely possibility is a vacuum leak in the manifold or throttle body, but leaks generally won't make the engine surge up and down.... the headlights may be a fuse or a relay, or the low beams may be burned out... as for the mechanic that said the idle has something to do with the cam, i'd be looking for another mechanic..... the 3.5 is a good motor, as with most older bmw's, the electrical gremlins can piss you off...... good luck, john