Bad smell

Hello there,

I am experiencing a really off smell coming from the centre front vents when the fan is on in my 523se E39. When I turn the airconditioning on the smell goes away but as soon as the a/c is off then the smell returns. Any suggestions on what to do, where to look??

Last edited:
I have thought that it may be the micro filters..There is no fogging up of the windos. Have you experienced something similar?

does it smell like used gym socks?

Then you have a mold growing in your AC... common on the e39's (and not sure about the rest)

a fairly easy fix to DIY and inexpensive - the correct way is fairly expensive

1 - drive around with the air on..
2 - park the car - leave the air on full - with pulling in fresh air
3 - remove the cabin air filters
4 - spray LYSOL (kills the bacteria in the system)
5 - wipe off any lysol that cam throughthe vents and condensed on the wiid, leather, etc
6 - store overnight
7 - repeat in the AM

this should be good to go for another year or so

?- do you use the reirc feature all the time ir just occasionally or not at all ?

the REAL way to do this is to take to a dealer and they will drill a hole behind the dash where the ac unit is and place a very expensive foam into the system to kill the bacteria... sounds like this will accomplish the same as above

That is the smell exactly...like something is growing inside the system. I have the system on that automatic setting..would it be beneficial for me to use the recycle every so often?

here is a post from someone that devised this

The following Lysol fix has worked for the entire Summer and without making my car smell like Lysol. I fully expect to have to do it again in Spring.

Here is what I did two days in a row using Lysol "Country Scent":
1. Drive around with the A/C on for a couple miles (or on your way home from work).
2. Shut the A/C off about a minute before parking leaving the blower on. Should feel it get humid.
3. Park the car, shut if off and leave the ignition key in a position that allows the HVAC system to work.
4. Manually choose the middle level vents and Medium-High fan speed.
5. Open the front doors and close the middle dash vents and the rear seat vent. This diverts all the air to the door vents, but since the doors are open, all air is diverted outside of the car.
6. Pop the hood and open the HVAC filter housings. Spray Lysol “Country Scent” in each side for 5-10 seconds.
7. Shut the car off and let sit overnight.
8. Repeat this same process the next day.

My theory is that by spraying the Lysol into a humid system and giving the water from the humidity and the Lysol a chance to combine and kill the bacteria that are producing the odor over night you will have a solution that will last for a couple of months. I used the heck out of the A/C over the Summer with no odor. Don’t get me wrong, I still feel the wall of humidity come at me if I start the car after having recently shut it down, but it does not stink. I hope this solution lasts as long for you as it has for me.

I have administered the dosage...will wait to see if it has cured the problem. In the uk Lysol isnt available so I used the dettol spray.

Well it has appeared to work some...although there are still bad periods, but I continue to treat it and hope that eventually I will get rid for good...It has improved dramatically tho!!

cjf323i

i have the same issue in myE46.....I am going to try this asap!!!!I replaced my filters...anyone else have a remedy as this remedy my not be 100% fix for some....thxs....cjf323i