BMW X7 project dies

Big Daddy

BMW has confirmed that it was working on an extra-large X7 SUV – but has also revealed that the project has now been cancelled.

The putative rival for the Mercedes GL was believed to be based on an expanded version of the X5’s floorpan, and would have featured seven seats. Rising oil prices and the slowing global economy have stymied BMW’s plans to bring it to market, with the cancellation of the project confirmed in the company’s financial report.

The news will be seen as confirmation that the luxury car market is starting to feel the pinch as demand for thirsty, expensive cars slackens. The X7 would have been aimed squarely at the US market, where demand for full-size SUVs has declined dramatically since the start of the year.

BMW’s announcement also raises the question as to whether Mercedes will replace the similarly-proportioned GL when it comes to the end of its life.

Autocar

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
[clap]

Finally BMW has come to their senses, I never understood why Mercedes even made the GL450 in first place. The super-large SUV market has always been held by the Yukon, Escalade, Navigator, and Land Rover or LX Lexus for those going foreign.

The new X5 is already quite a bit bigger than the previous model, you'd think that they would learn from their 300 million in write downs on the 2005 X5 and X3 (the underpowered/poorly equipped versions from 2004-2006) that the time of SUVs has come and gone. The new X5 is already too big, I can't believe they wasted money in concept development of something like an X7. What engine was going into it? the 3.0 260hp 225torque I6? Hah...

Not too long ago, and probably still today, BMW AG was number one in the world for technological innovation, they are supposed to be leaders in the automotive industry. Since clearly fuel efficiency is the future of the automobile market, then why don't they develop luxury cars with the highest fuel efficiency in class? Instead of developing M versions and 500hp V-10's, how about some responsible projects? It's not like $4 a gallon has caught the industry or even the average person off guard. I'm sure many of us have been expecting this to happen for years now.

Actually, the GL450, GL550 and GL320 CDI have done very well in sales, including being named truck/SUV of the year in N. America. That being said, it didn't need to be made in the first place. I'm really glad BMW has dropped the X7 idea, as yes, the X5 is big enough and gives horrible fuel economy. I think BMW should just stay with the X3 and X5. IMO, the X6 is a train wreck too. Pointless!

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Actually, the GL450, GL550 and GL320 CDI have done very well in sales, including being named truck/SUV of the year in N. America. That being said, it didn't need to be made in the first place. I'm really glad BMW has dropped the X7 idea, as yes, the X5 is big enough and gives horrible fuel economy. I think BMW should just stay with the X3 and X5. IMO, the X6 is a train wreck too. Pointless!
I agree completely. I was at my dealer to test drive an X6 to see what the hype was, and on paper, it's just a 5,000 pound rocket that looks odd and is like a sports car on steroids. After seeing the vehicle in person I no longer wanted to test drive it, the tires on their demo looks fairly shaved and it had only 450 miles on it. I also felt bad for the salesman after correcting him when he told me that BMW put a 3.5 engine in it. The way I see it BMW might as well put the 300hp twin turbo into the X3 and call it a day. The X3 already is very nice, with the twin turbo in it, it would be a rocket that gets decent fuel economy when you don't drive like a maniac.