e36 csl lightweight platform

cheng41328

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and I just have a few questions concerning the 1993-94 325is. I am planning to turn this vehicle into a csl lightweight in the future and was just wondering if anyone could confirm these facts. The reason I got a 94 was because pre '95 cars weigh only 3025lbs while after 95, the cars weigh 3267lbs because of certain luxury and electronic gizmos. Also, a '92 isn't in the question because it doesn't have the VANOS until '93. So the reason why I didn't pick the m3 over the 325is is because it is 242lbs heavier, and it doesn't use the m50 manifold that is sought after that's already on the pre '95 engines. The main reason is the price though. While purchasing an m3 is possible, I figure that to turn it into a lightweight, I would have to remove most of the things that makes an m3 an m3. And for the US spec m3, the engine is a tuned, bored and stroked 3-series engine, which I see as a ripoff, considering the Euro m3 has a hand built, entirely different engine. So basically, my conclusion is that the '93-94 325is is the ideal platform for converting to a lightweight, as I can get all the lightweight parts, and also get the engine bored and stroked for the same price that it cost me to get an m3 outright. So, csl performance for stock m3 price. Can anybody here either confirm all of this? Because if this all isn't true, or there is a better platform out there, i would like to know so I don't spend time and money modding something that doesn't have potential. Thanks, and sorry for the long post.