E36 M3 Valve Tick

[scratch] My car recently developed a tick from the engine bay. I think it maybe a bad lifter or an exhaust leak. The car has been well taken care of. Sometimes the noise is there and sometimes it is not. It does not matter if the car had been driven hard or not. Sometimes its there and sometimes its not.

elheffe99

Hey Jared. I recently bought my first BMW, a used 97 M3, and after I took it in to have it picked over by the BMW mechanics, my car developed the same ticking. I took it back in and the mechanic told me that it was the VANOS. He said that it was no cause for concern if I didn't mind the ticking, or I could have the VANOS replaced, which he estimated at around $5,000. I don't like the ticking but don't necessarily want to sink $5,000 into a car I've only had for a few months. Don't get me wrong, I love this car and I'm considering, but at this point I'm just happy when the car starts and it's a low growl instead of a tick. Let me know what you find out.

Jeff

Big Daddy

Could very well be the Vanos, they do tick at times. It could also be a dirty injector and that could be cured with some Redline SI-1 Injector cleaner, or try some Chevron Techron available at Costco.

Last edited:
no, vanos does not tick; it rattles or gargles, even good vanos units make noise. Believe me I have gone through two of them. I am on my third one. looks like since I installed my headers it has made the exhaust valves easier to hear. It maybe an exhaust leak.

elheffe99

Well I'm still not sure what it is. It only does it sometimes, but when it does it, it's very noticeable. One of those noises that you feel everyone is looking your direction saying "what the hell is that?" It didn't do it until I took the car in for an oil change and inspection. I thought that was strange, maybe I should take it some place else?

elheffe99 said:
Hey Jared. I recently bought my first BMW, a used 97 M3, and after I took it in to have it picked over by the BMW mechanics, my car developed the same ticking. I took it back in and the mechanic told me that it was the VANOS. He said that it was no cause for concern if I didn't mind the ticking, or I could have the VANOS replaced, which he estimated at around $5,000. I don't like the ticking but don't necessarily want to sink $5,000 into a car I've only had for a few months. Don't get me wrong, I love this car and I'm considering, but at this point I'm just happy when the car starts and it's a low growl instead of a tick. Let me know what you find out.

Jeff
I'd definitely get a second opinion before you sink that kind of money into it. That's if you do decide too....

have you figured it out yet? Do you have enough oil? I know that if you take a lot of bends hard in these cars, it starves the engine of oil because the pick up is on one side of the pan. This happend in my buddies 95 m3 when he autocrosses it. You have to make sure there is plenty of oil in there.