Help!!!!

beoconnor

I am the 2nd owner of a 06 330XI that appears to have had some suspension work done to it prior to me owning the car. This work apparently wasnt done at a BMW dealership due to no records. I was not told of any issues with the car when I bought it, but I am now having some warranty issues. I was told by the local dealership that if I was able to get the numbers off of the tags on the BMW replacement parts that I should be able to track that number and find out where the parts came from and when they were distributed. Does anyone know how to do this? It is a drivers side rear suspension part and the number is (33 32 6 763 477). I would be greateful for any help...I am now looking at approx 5k in repairs that should be covered...Thanks

That is a rear trailing arm and it costs under $50.

Sorry, but your description doesn't make much sense. If the car is under warranty, it has a BMW part on it with a BMW tag, why would the dealer want YOU to track anything down? If it has a BMW part on it, it should be under the car's 4/50 warranty, period. Whether it was previously replaced should be irrelevant. Are they saying unauthorized repairs were done because they have no record of the work? Perhaps it was done by a BMW dealer but there was a screw up in record keeping!

Is this a CPO car?

And why $5000 in repairs regarding a $50 trailing arm?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I would be talking to a different dealer - or an attorney.

beoconnor

re:HELP

That is a rear trailing arm and it costs under $50.

Sorry, but your description doesn't make much sense. If the car is under warranty, it has a BMW part on it with a BMW tag, why would the dealer want YOU to track anything down? If it has a BMW part on it, it should be under the car's 4/50 warranty, period. Whether it was previously replaced should be irrelevant. Are they saying unauthorized repairs were done because they have no record of the work? Perhaps it was done by a BMW dealer but there was a screw up in record keeping!

Is this a CPO car?

And why $5000 in repairs regarding a $50 trailing arm?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I would be talking to a different dealer - or an attorney.
Warning lights came on for DTC. I brought it to local BMW dealer and was told that the front rt strut was blown out and had been for a while. At first they told me it was covered under warranty, but after they fixed it they tried to align and couldnt get it. At that pt they discovered that their was a problem in the drivers side rear. Upon inspection they noted that there were at least 6 parts that had been replaced. These 6 parts still had the stickers on them. There was no record of this work being done by a BMW dealership. They therefore told me my warranty would not cover the front strut damage. I was told at the dealership that I should be able to trace the origins of the part if I could get the numbers off of them. I am attempting to get the dealer that sold me the vehicle to buy back or take the car back in trade based on the fact that I was sold a car that was misrepresented. The body shop at the local BMW dealership told me that the car had "CLEARLY" been in some sort of accident, evident by this work and at least 2 areas that had been repainted. I bought the car with 21k miles and was issued a carfax report that claimed no accidents and full remainder of warranty in effect. The local dealership now tells me the rear sub frame is bent and suspension knucke may be broken. Already 1400 into the broken strut and an estimate of 3k or better for the rest of the work that is necessary. This in addition to burning up a set of tires over 11k miles...

OK, it makes a bit more sense. BUT I still think the dealer is jerking you around. Unless they can prove the front strut was damaged in the accident by identifying physical damage, it should be under full warranty and should not in any way be voided by the work on the rear. For example, if the heater blower motor fails, will they also deny that repair based on the fact that the rear was damaged? Get my point?

Legally, I think that once they told you the warranty would cover the front strut, AND they repaired it, they are in breech of contract for now not covering it under warranty. They CANNOT tell you one thing, complete the repairs, and then change the policy after they have modified your car. That is illegal, sounds like breech of contract to me, but I am not an attorney.

Unfortunately, carfax only shows REPORTED accidents. It's entirely possible that the car was repaired "out of pocket", and not reported to the police or insurance company, therefore it was not recorded. This is completely legal, and the dealer you bought it from could have honestly thought the car was clean (although had he done due diligence, he could have found the damage also).

If you ran the carfax yourself, and then informed carfax that you bought the car, they have a buyback guarantee that should be available to you. If the dealer gave you a carfax, the carfax warranty probably does not cover you. Good Luck!!