jolt

hey guys,
im new to this site and i was wondering if anyone knew anything about this problem i have. i have a 1990 325i automatic, and when i accelerate a little faster then usual it has a big jolt as it switches from first to second gear. its realyl embarrasing when someone is in the car and it just jolts out of the blue. i hope its nothing serious but i would love some feedback.

does It jolt in the same place every time? Or is it just random? If its random It might be dirty fuel injectors, if its in th same place maybe a bad flex disc? Somone correct me if im wrong

well the thing is it basically jolts around the same area. prolly around 30-35mph(4000rpms) and if i were to step on the gas slowly it wouldnt do it but if i accelerate faster it would like jolt really hard and would shake the whole car which is really annoying.

well not having an auto but my buddy has a 190 with a similar problem and he found it was a bad flex disc, so maybe you should get that checked out. SOmone correct me if im wrong

From the way you are describing a shaking under increased load and a jolt under accelleration, It almost sounds as though your driveshaft might be due for a rebuild.

When this occurs, usually the shaking/jolt (not a severe jolt) occurs around the same speed/gear/rpm.

My last e30, an 11/86 325eA, had the shaking around midrange (2500-3250rpm). Same symptons with an earlier e30, an 85 325e manual.

It could also be injector/fuel system related. I would recommend taking the car to a reputable local shop (where BMWs are commonly worked on) and ask the mechanic to take it for a spin around the block and see what he thinks. That way you can tell him exactly what your worried about and he can 'feel' it at the same time. Then, get a second opinion. We can speculate on this for days, but it's going to be a bit difficult since we aren't there to really feel the problem.

If your 'free inspections' agree on what the problem is...you can go from there. In which case we can probably be a lot more helpful.