My new Z3 needs a starter AND battery! Why?

A.Stout

I've only had it a month and it has only 21,000 miles on it, but my 2001 Z3 3.0i won't start. I had it towed to a garage and the mechanic said there is no reason for the starter to go so soon, but I need a new one. Plus, the battery is low and he can't recharge it. So that has to be replaced as well. It's going to cost $600.00 (Can). Luckily the car was at my home at the time.
Now I suppose I should take it to a BMW dealership to see if they can figure out what caused this to happen.
Anyone out there got any idea what's wrong?

Does this mechanic work on BMWs on a regular basis? Starter motors seem to be very reliable, I can't recall anyone posting here that ever had starter motor failure. Certainly the battery could be bad after 5 years.

grc

i just don't understand how you can diagnose a starter when the battery is dead, won't take a charge and needs to be replaced? put the new battery in and see how the starter acts with good power to it, a starter motor won't work well with a bad battery! then again anything's possible, about 1/2 of my car was replaced under warranty but it's been doing pretty good since.

Big Daddy

I have to agree with Glen, begin with the basics. Batteries last three to six years with rare exception. Replace the battery, I just did on my 98 M roadster, and as Kirby said I have heard of no starter failures.