Purchase question - 325, 328

belgirb

I'm going to buy a 325 or a 328. I've read lots of postings in various places and understand the business about the last digit referring to the displacement. From what I've read, I think I could probably be perfectly happy with a 323, 325 or 328. My question is whether it is worth the extra money to buy a 328 (1997) with relatively low mileage (85,000 miles) at approximately $7,500 vs. a higher mileage 325 with higher mileage (150,000) at around $4500. Most postings claim both engines, given proper treatment, will outlast your ownership of the car. I'm wondering whether the additional $3000 upfront cost will really be worth the outlay, as opposed to setting aside a couple of grand in the bank for needed repairs. If both cars were maintained, will buying the $4500 car, replacing the water pump, filters, plugs, and drive belt provide a vehicle that offers relatively maintenance free service. Or, do these cars end up having a lot of electrical, suspension, tranny, heating, or other problems as they age beyond 150,000 miles? Your advice, particularly from those who have stuck with the cars for 5 or more years, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim