response to an 'altered' 635csi?

hello all. i plan on 'altering' my 635csi... i say altering because i'm no ricer (read that 'definition of a ricer' thread..btw, those 3 wanna-be's [i had another word their...but it censored it] were worst things ever seen by my eyes). i plan on doing it nicely, ie, i wanna make it...well...a bmw beast

i plan on altering the engine, ie, air intake, auto to manual transmision with a good fast clutch, new exhaust for a nice growl and some extra hp (maybe cherry bomb caps if i can fit em), new camshaft, new cam gears (after the trany change), etc. most of these would be good performance parts that would get the most out of my money and do the best for the engine, hp, speed etc.

as for the looks:
restoration (goodbye rust and crappy repair bubbles) changing the emblems, chroming the original rims and replacing the stickers, maybe painting the calipers, a midwing, side skirt and a back skirt (cuz i have a front spoiler, so its lower than the rest of the car, and it looks akward to me. speaking of this, does ne one know where to buy or look at zender or erebuni body kits?), and as for the more "ricey" or "gruesome" (to purists at least) details i'll spare them, but if u wanna hear just ask..

...ne ways. i'd like to get some feedback to this from u guys, and what you'd say if u saw a car like this roll down the street...even if you just saw the tail end of it [;)]

Last edited:

Dave8812

It would look pretty cool from what you say. Just beacause you have a spoiler doesent mean its rice. Anyways if you succesfuly do the auto to manual change, i would like to know some things from you. Example, was it difficult, what do i need to do etc. Im thinking of doing that to mine and the part im not looking forward to is installing the clutch. Even thought yours is a 635 it should still be similar. By the way what year is it?

mine's an 88

check out http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/modify.html for what this guy did to his 635csi. also, search around for e28 manual conversions, its a common thing (apparently) with that model, and it's similar to the 6ers. also, i emailed that guy from the site, he said you need the same parts form an M30 engine (lots of models, check around his site to see which ones), so if you can find a scrapped one (or two ;)), take out the transmission and put it in urs.

As long as you don't put an M-badge on it, you're okay with me. If you do, watch out. They have a tendancy to disappear from non-M cars. [;)]

If you have the skills, tools and time to do the work yourself, a manual conversion is not a bad idea. If you are going to pay someone else to do it, you are probably better off selling the auto. and buying a manual. Same with the body work.

You can find some sixer body kits here

You may want to consider a conversion to the european bumpers. As for the spoiler, I think the factory spoiler is all you need (aka M-technic). Put too large a wing on it and you'll end up on the bmw nightmare page. [?|]

Korman makes a lot of good performance parts for the old sixers, as does Dinan.

not putting a giant wing on it. a midsize one so it looks nice and still puts some downforce on it. and i hate m-technic lip spoilers...im sorry but i just do. ur right about the manual conversion. (its about 2400 for parts alone...my plan was find a manual car wit an M30 engine so i can switch the trannys, then sell the auto afterwards), accept my dad's already put a lot into this one (money wise), and i don't know where to find a manual 635csi (im in canada. so online services help if ya know ne). i'd never put an m badge on it ne ways...thats just stupid. the body work'll cost a lot...so if ne one can tell me where to find some resources on how to do that myself. i'd be incredibly greatful.