1991 535i

Bobz91

I have a 535i with overheating problems. New radiator, water pump, hoses etc...
The head gasket is leaking passenger side front. Was told this is a problem with this engine? 1991 with 200k miles.
Thanks

I've never heard of this being a well known problem with the M30. Who told you it's leaking? Externally, or are you burning it off, or is it going into your coolant?

Bobz91

I've never heard of this being a well known problem with the M30. Who told you it's leaking? Externally, or are you burning it off, or is it going into your coolant?
I hope its not a real well known problem! No coolant in oil, no oil in coolant. The engine will start and run for 10 minutes or so and I can see the coolant spraying out as the engine warms up. The exhaust is normal. I just aquired this car knowing it had this problem. I was told the engine was run hot for a "short " way.
The well known problem thing was heard through a friend of a friend..............thats why I'm trying this forum to get good info. I have documentation that the work was done, as in thermostat ect....
Any help would be great!
Bob

Bobz91

Not known as a common problem here either. If it is indeed a head gasket it is time for a new one with a cylinder head warp-age check.
My info on the common problem was not from a good source. Are there any good aditives out there or should I just do as you stated with the new head gasket and check?
Thanks
Bob

You might want to try taking your valve cover off and see if you have a broken head bolt... if not, it's your gasket. Get a pressure check done, and that should do it. An additive isn't the answer... additives usually only fill cracks in aluminum rads... not in gaskets, but you might be lucky. There are a few coolant "stop-leak" products available, but when you're driving in a Colorado snow storm, it'll be in the back of your mind that you have a blown head gasket being held together with "stop leak".

Bobz91

You might want to try taking your valve cover off and see if you have a broken head bolt... if not, it's your gasket. Get a pressure check done, and that should do it. An additive isn't the answer... additives usually only fill cracks in aluminum rads... not in gaskets, but you might be lucky. There are a few coolant "stop-leak" products available, but when you're driving in a Colorado snow storm, it'll be in the back of your mind that you have a blown head gasket being held together with "stop leak".
Thanks for the tip. Iwasn't going to use an additive unless someone really raved about one. I'll try your suggestion and go from there.
Thanks