Do E36 M3 has self adjusting valves?

I have a 95 M3 79k miles- does it have self adjusting valves? There is a ticking noise that seems to be coming from the front most portion of the cylinder cover sometimes. The ticking builds with the revs. Can it possibly be the oil grade I'm using. I got the 20W50 Mobil Synthetic in there as some people recommended, maybe i should switch to 10W40 next oil change. Are there any additive cleaners that can be used with the engine oil? Maybe I have a sticky valve.

Big Daddy

Yes the valves on the 95 M3 are Hydraulic and should not need adjusting. The injectors can also make a ticking sound and I would use some injector cleaner, either Redlines SI1 or Chevrons Techron. And I would switch to 10W40 for your climate.

elheffe99

I have the same ticking problem, although mine doesn't happen all the time. It's completely sporadic as far as I can tell. I took it to a dealer and they told me it's a chain in the VANOS and replacing it was pretty expensive. When a dealer tells you that, I get scared. They basically said it wasn't doing any harm and I could drive it no problems. I think they said it was the chain becoming loose and it hits on something creating the noise.

If you find out more I'd like to hear as the noise bugs the hell out of me.

BTW I have a 97 sedan with 121K.