E36 M3 Evolution - brit needs help

mattski

Hi,

I have got a 1998 M3 Evolution Coupe and wonder if you guys could shed some light on a little noise problem I have. I know that Euro-spec M3's are a bit different but maybe you can help.

My car makes a 'ticking' noise, that sounds like tappets. It is there shortly after starting up, as it warms up, and stays there no matter what RPM. It is very quiet at tickover however. There are no noticable power drops throughout the rev range.

I've heard mixed suggestions about it being a lifter, needing valve adjustment, needing shims to the dreaded double vanos problem. What do you think? The noise appears to be coming from the middle/rear of the engine on the throttle body side.

The car has done 87,000 miles and has full bmw service history.

regards,
Matt

Last edited:
#1 welcome

#2 HOLY CRAP YOU HAVE AN EVO!!! that rocks dude

#3 those are all good suggestions because all three of them are known trouble spots for e36's. my lifters click when the car is turned off, i can't hear much at all if the car is on. valve adjustment and vanos are both good ideas to look at.

It really sounds like a lifter issue. It's possible you have colapsed lifter. Try to narrow down exactly where the noise is comming from. An automotive stethiscope (s/p?) works great for this. You could also use a small piece of hose to do this by holding the hose to the engine where you think the noise is coming from and listening from the other end.
It could also be one of your fuel injectors. Over time, injectors can begin to 'tick'. By finding the exact location of the sound, you can really narrow the problem down.

I highly doubt it is a valve adjustment problem though.

mattski

thanks guys, it is going in for an inspection 2 on monday so hopefully it'll quieten it down :)

I'll post some pics of her later... [headbang]

Matt

mattski

Hi,

An M3 Evolution coupe is the generation of M3 prior to the newer E46 shape. The M3 Evo was not available in the US and had a number of differences including:

6-six manual gearbox.
M5 floating rotor brakes.
321bhp inline six cylinder engine with throttle bodies and dual vanos.
+ other differences.

here are some pictures of it:

mattski

Hi,

Yeh, the engine bay is different, check it out:

and

I think the reason you guys never got the euro motor was because of emissions laws. Externally, the euro ones have bigger brakes (as far as I know) and the lights are different, our indicators don't light up [:)]

/m

Last edited: