Hands-on E90 Review with tons of Pictures

Well, I drove an E90 on the official launch date a few weeks ago, but with the start of my 3rd year med school rotations, I haven't gotten a chance to post my impressions of it until now. I took lots of pictures of the car I drove, which you will see below.

I drove a 330i with premium and sport packages and 6MT with 21 miles on it ($41k sticker). My first impressions upon seeing the car in the flesh were that it does in fact look much MUCH better in person than it does in pictures. I know that others have said this, but I really couldn't believe how much better it looks in person. The exterior proportions seem to be spot on perfect. I think the front end is awesome - it looks aggressive yet elegant. While I think the side profile is a little plain (it could use a bump strip or something to break up the flat sides), again, it looks better in person than it does in pictures. I think it must be the overall stance and proportion of the car that your senses can only appreciate in person that improves the appearance of the side profile. The rear looks MUCH better in person, and I actually think it works pretty well with the rest of the package. That being said, the first thing my dad said when I showed him the pictures of the car was "Geez, the back looks like a cheap Asian car - something like a Hyundai." I agree that the pictures appear this way, but the rear does look better in person. The taillights do look kind of cheap up close, particularly the edges of the lenses around the reverse lights. When comparing the E46 taillights to the E90 taillights side by side, the E46 rear lights are higher quality. Overall, the exterior styling of the E90 really NEEDS the sport package. There was a 330i in sparkling graphite without the sport package at the dealer as well, and the stance is COMPLETELY different. The sport package makes the car much more low-slung and much more aggressive. The sport package wheels are beautiful in person and are VERY low profile. In comparison, the non-sport package 330i looks weird. The sport package makes the styling work.

The headlights are really cool. The angel eyes float in front of the headlight lenses. You can see this in the pictures below.

Now, on to one of the most controversial areas of the new car - the interior. As you all know, I have been resistant to the new corporate interior design that BMW has turned to. I have been very concerned that the new interior doesn't fit with what the 3er is supposed to be. First off, let me say that the interior materials are VERY high quality. There was nothing cheap feeling that I could find. The plastics seem to be top-notch quality, the switchgear is excellent, and the doors have a nice weight and "sound" to them. The back seat is noticeably larger/roomier than that in the E46. The lack of a temperature gauge is somewhat bothersome to me, but the gauges are otherwise wonderful, even if they are a little non-BMWish. The gauges are very easy to read at a very quick glance and are amazingly well placed - the angle and placement of the gauge cluster is much better than previous 3ers. The OBC is integrated into the dot matrix display between the tach and speedo. There are added functions in the OBC that didn't exist in previous generations, like a digital oil level gauge represented by a bar graph. This is a very important function, since the new engine does not have a dipstick - that's right!!!! The engine does NOT have an oil dipstick, so you must check the oil level through the OBC. The sport seats are wonderful, in the usual BMW tradition. The dash isn't as "driver oriented" as in the E46 and earlier 3ers, but it works. It has a very elegant appearance to it with the wood trim. The interior is more "upscale" appearing now, maybe at a slight expense to "sporty" feel, but not much. After sitting in the car and driving it, I actually really like the new interior (I didn't think I'd ever hear myself saying that!). I also can't believe what I'm going to say next - when I went from the E90 to a new E46 ZHP sitting next to it, I couldn't help but feel that the E46 interior felt dated.

Ok, so enough of that - how's the drive, you ask? Well, my service advisor let me drive the car for about 30 minutes on numerous very twisty backroads, interstate, and in town surface roads. Oh My God. I have never driven a car that felt like this before in my life. This car is simply astounding. The engine starts with a growl. I put the car in first and began to let the clutch out only to stall the engine. The clutch is very light, but light in a very very good way. The clutch engages VERY quickly and directly - it took some getting used to coming from my E30's relatively heavy clutch that grabs much later. Once I got used to the clutch, I absolutely fell in love with it - it is wonderful. The 6 speed gearbox is your typical BMW gearbox - that is to say damn near perfect. The new engine is absolutely phenomenal. Extremely smooth, and gobs and gobs of power. I was amazed at how quick this car is. The sound is intoxicating as you take this baby to redline (as I was encouraged to do repeatedly by my sales advisor). This new engine is simply amazing and will go down in history as the next great thing from BMW. The driving dynamics are incredible (this car did NOT have the active steering). This car is the most sure-footed car I have ever driven. You take corners and twisties very quickly with supreme confidence and come out of them upset that you didn't enter them faster. The handling is simply unbelieveable and of course, the brakes are excellent. The thing that amazed me most about the E90 is how quiet it is when cruising comfortably down the road at high speed. It is virtually silent inside - absolutely NO tire noise, and very very little wind noise. However, when you get on the throttle, all of the appropriate engine and exhaust sounds come right through to the interior, even with all of the windows up. I was amazed at how isolated the unwanted noises are, yet how well the desired "sporty" noises come through. The engine sound is phenomenal.

So what's wrong with the car? Well, the keyfob/pushbutton start system is a joke. This system seems like more of a marketing gimmick than anything, and it is extremely buggy. There are actually more steps involved to start the engine than if you just used an "old-fashioned" key. You first place the keyfob into the slot in the dash. Then you have to push the fob once to turn the ignition on. You can then push the engine start button to start the engine. When we first got in the car, the saleswoman started the car for me. She had trouble getting the ignition to turn on and had to remove the fob a couple of times before it would start. When the car finally started, the traction control, ABS, and Brake warning lights stayed on in the gauge cluster. The only thing that cleared them was to shut the car off and restart it. Not very impressive. When we got back from the test drive, I shut the car off, but it wouldn't let me remove the key fob. The sales advisor had to fiddle with the key fob for about 2 minutes before it would release it. I don't know if there was just something wrong with this car, or if the key fob system is just that buggy, but I wasn't impressed by it. The other thing that bugged me was that the back seat is very hard for a fully grown adult (like myself) to get out of. The rear doors are shaped kind of weird (the back edge is a straight edge), and it makes for an awkward door opening to navigate.

So, in summary, I am a fan of the E90. It looks better in person than in pictures, and the driving dynamics are simply out of this world. There may be one in my future....

Here are the pics:

Last edited:
The pictures you posted at the end says it all. A car that looks good in the flesh and in picture no need to say more [bmwkick] and yeah those are a couple of cool Zhps, can't have the same of pinion of what you test drove. That it handles well!!, that was to be expected, it is after all a BMW [headbang] Just not a good looking one. and a don't see where you found it sporty??

Simply awesome post. Nice work.

Three things that concern me from reading your report:
1) No dipstick or temp gauge! That is ridiculous to me but I'm sure we'll just have to get used to it.
2) The instrument cluster doesn't do it for me. I still don't know why BMW persist with an economy-meter in a car as powerful as a 330i. An oil-temp gauge would be much better.
3) I absolutely HATE the way they cover up the engine with all sorts of plastic. It gets worse with evey new model.

I think I'm going to have to go for a test drive though...[headbang]

Great review and pictures Justin.

Something I noticed at 3 Across America is clearly visible in your pictures. In the engine bay, notice that a strut bar is now standard. From what I saw, I think this is on all models, not just the Sport package.

Thanks, guys. One thing I forgot to mention is that the E90 has the computer-controlled electronic turn signals like the newer 7ers. When you select either the left or right turn signal, the stalk immediately returns to the "home" position, yet the signal remains activated. I had a hard time figuring out how to turn off the turn signal after signaling a lane change without activating the opposite turn signal. I guess it's just something that you have to get used to.

I have only seen one E90 on the road, and that was in SC. I took a part back to the dealership here, and they have about 7 E90s on the lot now.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Great review, I'd seriously consider leasing one after reading that. As I expected it drives like a dream. However, the design isn't impressive, the startbutton and the turnsignals have problems, and you can't tell when its warmed up. I still can't get over the blinking red lights instead of the amber ones...(But I guess BMW took notice that most people don't signal anyway, at least now theres an excuse "Sorry officer, but it's just too difficult, see for yourself" [hihi]) When I was at the dealer there was a reason why I didn't testdrive it, as I knew the hideous thing's drive would sway me... and I currently intend on spending a few more happy anniversaries with my E46.

I also noticed that the dealer had quite a few E90's sitting on the lot, I guess it didnt hype as well as they expected... I'm sure you could pickup the 41.5k sticker 330i for 40k flat on the spot.

Also from the pictures that engine looks like a nightmare to work on, so much plastic and so little space...

Great review, man! This took a lot of time I'm sure -- so I appreciate you sharing here. This the best first-person perspective I've read so far. It's definitely peaked my interest.

One thing I noticed in your trunk shot is that the tool kit is missing -- have they discountinued that feature?

TheBry said:
One thing I noticed in your trunk shot is that the tool kit is missing -- have they discountinued that feature?
Good point! I didn't notice that. I wonder if it is under the trunk mat where the spare tire used to be now that all 3ers come with run-flats and hence don't have a spare tire.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
Actually the tool kit is a thing of the past, the new Z4 doesn't have a tool kit for a fact...(and I'm sure the new 3er doesn't either) Under the trunk mat you'll only find the battery...

Steve176 said:
I do have to say that I like the interior of my e46 better at this point. But, this is new and sometimes it takes time.

If the new were really great [nono] It should not take it a great deal of time to like it [paranoid]

my thoughts.. i think with the Nav screen (iDrive) the interior looks more better... the rear lights, uh not LED and doesnt look right. btw great post

RacerX330

Response to your review

I bought (well leased) this very car you have posted pictures of and drove. I have never once had a problem with the key fob. My salesperson at Flow knew what they were doing when they showed me how the car works etc. You push the key into the slot, press down the clutch and hit the start button, just like in the E46, put key in, press down clutch and turn. If you do not press down the cluth pedal, then it will only turn on the accessories when you press the START ENGINE button. When your down you press the START ENGINE button, shuts the car off, and then push the key and it comes out of the slot, no drama with that whatsoever.

I did have a problem with a FZD controller, computer switch that controls driver info lights (seat belt and SRS [airbag]), sunroof control and interior overhead lights. I got seat belt and airbag warning lights a few days before our first trip to service which was a little freaky, but it was just a false reading since the device that controlled the info lights was malfunctioning and not the SRS system itself, but that was fixed promptly so far no problems and nothing but lots of attention from folks on the road, all be it 70% of it is unwanted attention (16yro's with VW GOLF's and Acrura TSX's driven by punks... [:o)]

Great car, and they even wheeled and dealed on the price, however it only took about 30 minutes to find out where they were done dealing.

Like the run-flats because they are safer and stiffer, much stiffer however limited selection for replacements is a problem and my tire bill just doubled, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Max Performance Summer Tires, 18-245/40 front $245ea. and 18-255/35 rear $311ea. OUCH!!!

and of course they are a 10k-12k miles tire. ouch again, but speed cost money, how fast do you want to pay?

Good Review, these comments below are not in response to your review but rather other comments I read before posting this.

I don't know what people are complaining about when it comes to the interior, I'm pleased with the interior, the seats are better leather is nicer, intruments clean and clutter free, everything (radio control, climate controls, etc....) is right within reach. This car has been exceptionally well designed. I drove the Acura and the Benz and the Audi. This is better. Not that I'm not a little biased towards are friends from Munich, but honestly BMW does not aspire to overload the driver with a bunch of useless information nor do they wish to appeal to every 16-18yro tuner type with boy-racer like instruments and interior. Yes there is no water temp guage anymore, but who used that anyway? It's a sports sedan with some class, people often forget the class part.

BMW is not interested in having the fastest 0-60 time, if that's what your looking for then BMW doesn't want you buying their cars. lol

I luv it this is my 3rd BMW out of the more than 10 i'll own in my life i'm sure.

jrt67ss350 said:
Well, I drove an E90 on the official launch date a few weeks ago, but with the start of my 3rd year med school rotations, I haven't gotten a chance to post my impressions of it until now. I took lots of pictures of the car I drove, which you will see below.

I drove a 330i with premium and sport packages and 6MT with 21 miles on it ($41k sticker). My first impressions upon seeing the car in the flesh were that it does in fact look much MUCH better in person than it does in pictures. I know that others have said this, but I really couldn't believe how much better it looks in person. The exterior proportions seem to be spot on perfect. I think the front end is awesome - it looks aggressive yet elegant. While I think the side profile is a little plain (it could use a bump strip or something to break up the flat sides), again, it looks better in person than it does in pictures. I think it must be the overall stance and proportion of the car that your senses can only appreciate in person that improves the appearance of the side profile. The rear looks MUCH better in person, and I actually think it works pretty well with the rest of the package. That being said, the first thing my dad said when I showed him the pictures of the car was "Geez, the back looks like a cheap Asian car - something like a Hyundai." I agree that the pictures appear this way, but the rear does look better in person. The taillights do look kind of cheap up close, particularly the edges of the lenses around the reverse lights. When comparing the E46 taillights to the E90 taillights side by side, the E46 rear lights are higher quality. Overall, the exterior styling of the E90 really NEEDS the sport package. There was a 330i in sparkling graphite without the sport package at the dealer as well, and the stance is COMPLETELY different. The sport package makes the car much more low-slung and much more aggressive. The sport package wheels are beautiful in person and are VERY low profile. In comparison, the non-sport package 330i looks weird. The sport package makes the styling work.

The headlights are really cool. The angel eyes float in front of the headlight lenses. You can see this in the pictures below.

Now, on to one of the most controversial areas of the new car - the interior. As you all know, I have been resistant to the new corporate interior design that BMW has turned to. I have been very concerned that the new interior doesn't fit with what the 3er is supposed to be. First off, let me say that the interior materials are VERY high quality. There was nothing cheap feeling that I could find. The plastics seem to be top-notch quality, the switchgear is excellent, and the doors have a nice weight and "sound" to them. The back seat is noticeably larger/roomier than that in the E46. The lack of a temperature gauge is somewhat bothersome to me, but the gauges are otherwise wonderful, even if they are a little non-BMWish. The gauges are very easy to read at a very quick glance and are amazingly well placed - the angle and placement of the gauge cluster is much better than previous 3ers. The OBC is integrated into the dot matrix display between the tach and speedo. There are added functions in the OBC that didn't exist in previous generations, like a digital oil level gauge represented by a bar graph. This is a very important function, since the new engine does not have a dipstick - that's right!!!! The engine does NOT have an oil dipstick, so you must check the oil level through the OBC. The sport seats are wonderful, in the usual BMW tradition. The dash isn't as "driver oriented" as in the E46 and earlier 3ers, but it works. It has a very elegant appearance to it with the wood trim. The interior is more "upscale" appearing now, maybe at a slight expense to "sporty" feel, but not much. After sitting in the car and driving it, I actually really like the new interior (I didn't think I'd ever hear myself saying that!). I also can't believe what I'm going to say next - when I went from the E90 to a new E46 ZHP sitting next to it, I couldn't help but feel that the E46 interior felt dated.

Ok, so enough of that - how's the drive, you ask? Well, my service advisor let me drive the car for about 30 minutes on numerous very twisty backroads, interstate, and in town surface roads. Oh My God. I have never driven a car that felt like this before in my life. This car is simply astounding. The engine starts with a growl. I put the car in first and began to let the clutch out only to stall the engine. The clutch is very light, but light in a very very good way. The clutch engages VERY quickly and directly - it took some getting used to coming from my E30's relatively heavy clutch that grabs much later. Once I got used to the clutch, I absolutely fell in love with it - it is wonderful. The 6 speed gearbox is your typical BMW gearbox - that is to say damn near perfect. The new engine is absolutely phenomenal. Extremely smooth, and gobs and gobs of power. I was amazed at how quick this car is. The sound is intoxicating as you take this baby to redline (as I was encouraged to do repeatedly by my sales advisor). This new engine is simply amazing and will go down in history as the next great thing from BMW. The driving dynamics are incredible (this car did NOT have the active steering). This car is the most sure-footed car I have ever driven. You take corners and twisties very quickly with supreme confidence and come out of them upset that you didn't enter them faster. The handling is simply unbelieveable and of course, the brakes are excellent. The thing that amazed me most about the E90 is how quiet it is when cruising comfortably down the road at high speed. It is virtually silent inside - absolutely NO tire noise, and very very little wind noise. However, when you get on the throttle, all of the appropriate engine and exhaust sounds come right through to the interior, even with all of the windows up. I was amazed at how isolated the unwanted noises are, yet how well the desired "sporty" noises come through. The engine sound is phenomenal.

So what's wrong with the car? Well, the keyfob/pushbutton start system is a joke. This system seems like more of a marketing gimmick than anything, and it is extremely buggy. There are actually more steps involved to start the engine than if you just used an "old-fashioned" key. You first place the keyfob into the slot in the dash. Then you have to push the fob once to turn the ignition on. You can then push the engine start button to start the engine. When we first got in the car, the saleswoman started the car for me. She had trouble getting the ignition to turn on and had to remove the fob a couple of times before it would start. When the car finally started, the traction control, ABS, and Brake warning lights stayed on in the gauge cluster. The only thing that cleared them was to shut the car off and restart it. Not very impressive. When we got back from the test drive, I shut the car off, but it wouldn't let me remove the key fob. The sales advisor had to fiddle with the key fob for about 2 minutes before it would release it. I don't know if there was just something wrong with this car, or if the key fob system is just that buggy, but I wasn't impressed by it. The other thing that bugged me was that the back seat is very hard for a fully grown adult (like myself) to get out of. The rear doors are shaped kind of weird (the back edge is a straight edge), and it makes for an awkward door opening to navigate.

So, in summary, I am a fan of the E90. It looks better in person than in pictures, and the driving dynamics are simply out of this world. There may be one in my future....

Here are the pics:

RacerX330

my dealers have sold every single one of their e90's, and the ones they do have last about week and then they are gone.....

Bmw 325i 7803 said:
Great review, I'd seriously consider leasing one after reading that. As I expected it drives like a dream. However, the design isn't impressive, the startbutton and the turnsignals have problems, and you can't tell when its warmed up. I still can't get over the blinking red lights instead of the amber ones...(But I guess BMW took notice that most people don't signal anyway, at least now theres an excuse "Sorry officer, but it's just too difficult, see for yourself" [hihi]) When I was at the dealer there was a reason why I didn't testdrive it, as I knew the hideous thing's drive would sway me... and I currently intend on spending a few more happy anniversaries with my E46.

I also noticed that the dealer had quite a few E90's sitting on the lot, I guess it didnt hype as well as they expected... I'm sure you could pickup the 41.5k sticker 330i for 40k flat on the spot.

Also from the pictures that engine looks like a nightmare to work on, so much plastic and so little space...

I drove an E90 325i 6-speed last weekend. I actually went to the dealer looking at a CPO 2003 330i Steptronic with sport package. They wanted $31,000 for this car with 20 some thousand miles. The salesman told me that if I was considering this car for $30k, that I should consider a brand new E90 325i with leather and sport package for $34k. So, I drove one immediately after driving the E46. I've decided that I would take an E90 over an E46. The drive is simply awesome. The 325i is still very quick with the 6 speed manual, and with the sports package, it simply drives incredibly. After driving the 325i, I'm not convinced the 330i is worth the extra premium in price.

At this point, I'd be buying myself an E90 325i with leather and sports for $34k before any wheeling and dealing. It's a great car.

Bmw 325i 7803

1000 Post Club
To the guy who bought that model pictured above, how many miles did it have on it? Also, how do you feel about the previous spectators who floored it on the salespersons demand. If they told Justin to floor it and drive her hard, I'm sure they told whoever else... Either way enjoy your new baby, also how much were they willing to deal?

As for the CPO 03 330i with a steptronic I would stay away from it since thats right in the middle when the slipping transmissions were a problem and BMWs CPO warranty is a joke (see the list of items which reads like an essay that aren't covered). Also that's absurd that they'd sell an 03 with say 22k for $31,000, they were selling NEW 2005's for that price. Loaded 330i zhp's were going for $35,000.... These dealers are a joke, in a case like that I'd def get the 06' 325i...

William330

Great pics, thanks for posting them!

It looks like the engine bay is much smaller, with the engine
now slid underneath the body. Interesting.

I read somewhere in this thread that BMW isn't interested in 0-60 times or that they don't want you to buy their cars if you are interested in that aspect of the car. I really disagree there, having bought an M3 for its stellar acceleration, but I see your point for the non m3s

2005 M3 does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. I believe that is a few hundreths of a second off some street legal Ferrari's.

I also saw a lot of these in the parking lot, and the M3 version of the E90 is going to be bad ass, V8 is possible to compete with the V8 S4. anyway, I'm pissed that I just leased an m3 and in 1 year, it will be the "old M3" because the new one comes out, the 2007 M3.