need more sound in a 96

grc

it came with no rear speakers at all, just the 5 1/4's in the kick panels and whatever in the doors that are mostly blown. i put a pair of infinity 512's in the kick panels and one of them sounds blown now, i'm wondering if there is an amp that's blown. what is the computer looking doomajob mounted up high in the trunk behind the carpet, is that a stereo amp?

i just removed the rear storage console for cleaning and i'm thinking about turning it into a speaker enclosure. i looked on the Ebay for a factory rear console with the speaker in it but i didn't find anything, any leads on something like this, factory, custom or aftermarket? under the rear dash carpet i found a plug connector with a bunch of wires, is this the rear speaker plug?

Last edited:

Big Daddy

Not sure what sound system you have in your, but both my 97 and 98 Z's had speakers behind the seats, as well as the door panels and the doors. I also had the center subwoofer in both. I believe the box your talking about is indeed the amp.

grc

OK, i got some more sound but i'm not done yet. i just installed a Panasonic CQ-C3333U head unit and a Kenwood KSC-WA62RC powered sub. i did some slice and dicing on the rear storage compartment and set the subwoofer in pretty much where the factory center speaker is, mine is bigger. i still need to customize the top storage compartment lid, still deciding on whether to put the inner tub back in and have the lid open or just fuggetaboutit? i got a deal on the discontinued model sub from my stereo guy, less than 1/2 what the new model retails for, and i think i like it better than the new model anyway. it (almost) fits the location and has more adjustability. i still need to upgrade the amp and replace the speakers. i might try to find a place to install some rear speakers too? or i might try using the rear speaker wires to the sub instead of the sub channel? i'll post when i get some pics on my supermotors page

grc

where were you k6pmxdsc after my first post? i might've gone that route but at $275+ shipping that enclosure is not cheap! plus you have to buy the speaker yourself too, probably looking at close to $400 by the time you get it all home. then you supply the amp on top of it all, i got both my head unit and complete powered sub for a little less than the box alone! the stealthiness is nice but i think i could make a box for a little less?