Newbie question

ScottMc

hi everyone i'm new here - just a quick question.

My 320i has the chrome window surrounds and i was wondering if its possible to de-chrome these by painting them (or will this just look crap). Otherwise i'll have to buy a new set from BMW - anyone else done this? - how much would it cost?

thanks for your help
Scott.

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
Yous actually still have chrome on them!...¿ I had to paint over mine as soon as I bought the car. I took them to an auto body shop down here and the blasted and painted them for me for $75.

i have a writeup for exactly what you're lookin for... it's actually a write-up for doing it on an e30, but it'll be pretty much the same procedure

here ya go - http://www.e30sport.net/windowtrim.html

now u do'nt HAVE to remove the trim, but it's a damn good idea to. other people have actually used somethin like Electrical tape & just used that, but i woudln't advise it... it's kinda like "tha ghetto way". [;)]

anyway, the basic procedure (for anyone who doesn't wanna read the entire article posted above) is to remove the trim, scuff it w/ something like a 3M Scuff pad (so the paint has something to grab onto), prime it, paint it, put it back on... the end... but read the article first if you're gonna do it [thumb]

Last edited: