Should I pull the trigger?

PeterDS

Hey, all... my first post. If all goes well, I look forward to being on this board a lot. I've always dreamed of owning a 3 since I drove a 1994 325, fourteen years ago. Tomorrow, I'm going to pick mine up... a Certified Pre-Owned 2006 330xi with manual tranny, sport and premium packages, new run flat tires. Picture below. Price: 30.700.

I could, with some shame, back out. My only worries: the mileage (33K) is about 10K more than I was hoping for, and I think the price is a bit too high. (I wanted AWD with manual transmission, and those are hard to find.) Also, I've read concerns on this board about the run-flats. I'd be happier bringing that check down to the dealership and signing the papers if I had the support of you various Beemer enthusiasts.

Your thoughts?

many thanks,

Peter

Attachments

The price seems reasonable with those packages compared to what I see in my area. This same CPO in my area would be $32K - $36K. If you want to compare prices, go to AutoTrader.com and do a CPO search. In my area it returned 122 2006 330xi for sale.

Run flats are considered great - for soccer moms - but lousy for enjoying a spirited drive. They seem to numb the ride. And they cost a lot more to replace.

330 xi

hi there,

Nice ride. The montego blue is a real nice colour.

I have to agree with Kirby on the run flats. If you get a puncture, the dealership can't plug/patch them, and they are more expensive than regular tires. I've heard some people having problems with the Turanza EL42 tires(feathering/cupping of the tread).
IMHO, I don't like the runflats, but then again, I check my tire pressures every 2 weeks.
$31,000 seems to be a decent price for a CPO'd 330xi

good luck and have fun w/your new vehicle,
Tiger

PeterDS

Thanks to both you gentlemen. I researched prices (again) and decided that it was a fair price for the car, and went down and picked it up. I just love it, of course, especially the color... glad I was able to avoid the black/silver nexus. The car drives and feels like new, but it's got a slightly lived in feel, so I'm not worrying as much about that first scratch or stain.

As for the tires... well, they drive pretty well right now, and they're new, so I think I'll go through the winter and see how they do before making up my mind to replace them. One annoying thing: because they are run-flats, the car did not come with a spare, so I'll have to buy a new wheel if I change tires. Ah, well.

Again, thanks to both of you, and I'm pleased to be a member of the Beemer owning community.

P.

Congrats!!

When you have a chance post some pictures of your ride. Also, now that you are a BMW owner, you need to know one important piece of BMW information - BMW cars are bimmers, BMW motorcycles are beemers. Yes, everyone (except us owners!) calls the car a beemer, which is wrong, it was forever confused by a movie years ago.

PeterDS

Thanks! That's exactly why I went to the trouble of signing up for this board, learning stuff like that. Do you pronounce them differently? Is there a Bimmer owner handshake? Or do we just nod confidently?