Smelling Antifreeze......

Most likely the heater core. When heater cores go back, sometimes they start out with a pinhole leak. The water evaporates quickly so you never see a wet area.

A sure indication of this is uncontrollable window fogging. When it's cold enough to use your defroster, the car slowly fogs up even with the defroster on full blast. And when you clean the windshield on the inside, it never stays clean and has a film (ethylene glycol) on it.

Been there, done that.....

Well she is in the shop getting a new Radiator...
I didn't find any pools from where the car had been sitting. What we did find was a small leak from a tube on the right side of the Radiator.. My mechanic said that failed Radiator's on Bimmers are very common. He said that the plastic becomes brittle.
I am relieved to find out that it will not cost me an arm and a leg to fix....

that makes two of us,

Gary,

I saw your black 5 series before you sold it, it was gorgeous... why did you sell it?

I would like to buy a 5 series or a truck/suv next....

Last edited:
I sold it because it became a money pit. The transmission and engine were bulletproof but I had problems with everything else. I spent close to 5k on it the last year I had it and decided it was time to sell. It had over 130k mi on it.

It was a beautiful car and the inside and outside of the car was just perfect. I think the 3 series is a better car, the parts are cheaper and the two 3 series I had were very reliable.