TRANS.FAILSAFE PROG ...check light

Moxy

On my 2000 BMW 740 I, this message appears, TRANS FAILSAFE PROG, then disappears back to normal operation. When displayed, I lose the use of lower gears, A/C compressor, power steering, ASC+T, and all my dash instruments.

The BMW dealer service charged me for a test, but said they were not able to do their individual unit tests of the above outages with their machine. They wanted me to authorize their work to replace the ASC+T unit first, for $1500, and then see if that was the problem. If not, then go from there to all of the others and so forth which would continue to add up a huge bill.

As I drive it now, it goes in and out of the problem giving me normal operation about 1/2 the time.

With the factory loading the dealership down with unsold cars at this time in their inventory , I don't trust their advice. It seems designed to increase revenues through the service part of the business to make up for the lack of new car sales.

Can you go to a different dealer?

They should not be charging you for parts they are using to troubleshoot your car to see if that is the problem.