Two Questions for Ongoing Engine Conversion

The Bimmubishi is approaching her final hour. The engine mounts are in and I have a couple of questions at this juncture.

1) what's the largest rear wheel/tire combo I can run? I was thinking of 15 inch rears (diameter) and 8 inches wide with the correct 20mm offset and a 235 tire. If I roll the fenders will it work?

2) I fabricated my motor mounts and they work great, the motor's in and supported on it's own now. The question i had about the rubber mounts is, that if they're bent a little, as in distorted out of their normal position will they fail quickly? If the answer's yes, is there a good, non fluid filled one that I should look into?

Please let me know.

Thanks for all the help.

Alex
Mitsu powered 318 coming soon.

a) you can fit a 235 or even a 245 out back as long as the rear isn't lowered much. Do you have a pre-88? If so, it has higher rear arches and will work better with a shorter spring/wider tire. If you play your offsets and rideheights right, you can fit a 235 (or 245) if you roll the fender lips well.

b) having uneven pressure on the mount is no good. is this an M10 or M42 318? I can't tell you what mount to run without knowing that.

Bimmubishi said:
Thanks a lot Stuart. I'm going to go ahead on those wheels then.

As for the motor mounts, the engine that the car came with was an M42. Please advise.

Thanks,

pics are on www.dentsport.com

Alex
Hey Alex-

Try E38 535is mounts. They are dimensionally the same as the M42 fluid mounts, but they are solid metal/rubber and are only about $12 a piece.

PS---I should have known it was an M42 when you mentioned the fluid mounts in your first post..duh :)

I have 225/45 R16 on the back of my '85 323i and they fit comfortably.
On the wheel it has ET28 & 7j, but when the width was measured when they were balanced they said they were 7.5 wide!?!?!

Stuart, I recieved the mounts today. they're installed as of a few hours ago. They're miles better. I'm going to jockey the engine around a bit tomorrow to get it repositioned.

Thanks again for the help.

Alex