Well, I managed to get the bumper on. Just.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new radiator and intercooler are now mounted.

I had to space the bumper out about 15mm and remove some (most) of the metal that hangs under the black plastic.

I'll be doing the IC plumbing over the weekend, then it is only a few more little things to tidy up and the she hits the road!![burnout]

I can't wait!![driving]

Attachments

Bmwjockey

Intercooler

Hey bud whats up!

I was wondering what you had undr the hood.
Is your engine turboed or what.

I was just wondering if it was one of those fake intercoolers that you can buy for looks or if its operational.

Where did you get this cooler from?

The car looks cool man!!

[thumb]

looks like it's pretty authentic to me... and if it wasnt... welll, that'd be the first e30 that w/ a big expensive functional looking intercooler w/o a turbo that i've seen... intercooler's arent cheap, so why would u buy that thing if it wasn't hooked up to anything? [confused] besides i think i can see more plumbing up in the engine bay... and i can also see that the air filter was moved over to the passenger side where the whole turbo/exhaust and now intake would be

anyway, that thing looks pretty nasty.. keep us updated [thumb]

It's not mine. Look in the "bigger brakes" thread. There are more pics there cause we hijacked the thread to talk about our conversion cars.

I'm a huge fan of this guy's idea. I'm building a similar car now. Until BMW makes an engine with a turbo attached you can count me out on their motors.

Bimmubishi:
I wouldn't right off BMW engines, I would have loved to put a S50 in it but they are just too dam expensive!!

It is a toyota 1JZ-GTE 2.5l twin turbo.
And yes the IC is functional (well I hope so it cost enough!!).

I don't see any ethical issues with putting another brand engine into another car (eg BMW).
As long as you aren't taking a step back in technology (eg putting a ford 289 into the E30, thats just wrong!!), but then again that is some peoples cup of tea.

Attachments

I agree, I like the M engines but my liking them also involves my affording them, bottom line is that for the money, and performance, the Japanese turbos are the way to go. It's hard to get upset about brand switching when your tires are spinning in 3rd gear : )

My intercooler pipes are done as of last night. It was a lot more work than I anticipated but finally done.

epj3

Japanese engines in bmw's = RICE.

[rolleyes] I thought that was 60% of the reason that people bought bmws, for the engines. If you want a fast car buy a 300zx or 3000GT.

Hey, I like BMW's a lot but I never thought they had enough power. I just solved that problem. Smoked turn signals, DTM stickers and big wagon wheels are just as ricey, even more probably because they suggest performance without actually offering any. I'm sure your car is perfectly stock though, because that's what 62.5 percent of bmw owners prefer to modified.

BTW- the 3000gt isn't a "fast car" in my book. It's a slug.

I don't even know what this means-

"I thought that was 60% of the reason that people bought bmws, for the engines. If you want a fast car buy a 300zx or 3000GT."

Have you asked every BMW owner why they chose their cars, most couldn't even point to where the engine's located.

The M42 that's coming out of my car makes 120hp on a good day, has a flat, non-rewarding power curve and a penchance for leaking oil and blowing profile gaskets. Which would you choose?

Why would I buy a car when I and people like other member E30323ti have the means and the talent to build something unique? Like I said before, it's going to take a 60K sportscar to keep up with these on the track but you're entitled to your opinion so thanks for the reply.

Alex

epj3

Wow! you're going to get like 210 horses out of that piece of shit.
Hope your timing belt and header says in tact unlike most of these engines. If you want a fast car, go somewhere else, bmw's arent ment to be top performers (with a few exceptions). Why didnt you drop an e30's M3 engine in? They crank out more with out a turbo than this one will, and this one will fall apart -- they seem to be crappy engines.

Last edited:
Lol.

First, this motor makes 330 on the dyno. Second, it's about 1/10 the cost of an S14 and , well I just told you it's over 100 hp up on the old ass M3. I used to have an E30 M3. I put 5 K into it and then it rewarded me by making

138hp

at the rear wheel. Wow.

The timing belts do fail if they aren't replaced but so do the new M3 motors with SMG, so do the S14s without the oil pan baffle. Every engine has problems, nothing's perfect.

The stock 4G63 makes 187ftlbs of torque stock, the M3 makes less than 150. The M3's undrivable on the street and rewards you only at the track. Turbos are more forgivable and you can get faster corner exit speeds with the extra torque.

" they seem to be crappy engines"

Well, you seem like a real expert so I'll take your word on that, especially since you're replying with such intelligent posts and not using sweeping generalizations that are completely unfounded.

FYI- My friend Mike has a galant vr-4 with the same motor that's in my car and he runs in the 11s. It makes over 500hp at the crank. 250hp per liter versus the precious S14's 100bhp per liter.

here's a link to Turbo Magazine's Galant tuning article.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0206tur_galant/

Bottom line, that's cool that you think it's rice. Thanks for telling me what I should or shouldn't do, and also for representing the entire BMW community, insulting forum members intelligence by saying that BMW's "aren't meant to be top performers" and for entertaining me on a rainy day at work by providing me with low hanging fruit which I can grab and make you look silly.

epj3

You could only get 138 horsepower out of an old M3 engine -- when they produced 195hp stock? Uh, obviously you did not know what you were doing. And I know others on this forum agree with me but yet again they arent posting yet, but they will. Oh yea those guages are ugly. Put neons behind it and then you'll almost have a civic!

Last edited:
138 at the wheels. There's something called parasitic loss. Friction through gears, bearings and accessories equates to power loss. When companies post hp numbers it's at the crank unless it's BHP, brake horsepower. High horsepower numbers are more impressive when accompanied with close-to-equal amounts of torque.

Have you ever been to a dyno session? Have you ever raced a car? (Not autocross either) How about built one?

I've worked on the Men's Health Roock Porsche GT2 pit crew, crewed for 3 SCCA Pro Rally teams. I've built 2 rally cars and hold a valid SCCA license, organized a dyno day at Adrenalin motorsport in Auburn MA. Not that it's important, there are many others with more experience around but when you say that

"I must not know what I'm doing".

And you reference information that you misconstrue, you look like you're the one that doesn't know what he's doing.

You must be more experienced with stuff like this cause you're trying to call on all your consenting BMW brandwhores to back you up.

Anyway, I know you don't like this car. I don't really care. If you were presenting a good argument against it I'd give you more credit but you only seem to be able to throw a couple of limpfisted punches my way with "Rice" this and "rice" that.

I gotta get back to work.

138 at the wheels. There's something called parasitic loss. Friction through gears, bearings and accessories equates to power loss. When companies post hp numbers it's at the crank unless it's BHP, brake horsepower. High horsepower numbers are more impressive when accompanied with close-to-equal amounts of torque.

Have you ever been to a dyno session? Have you ever raced a car? (Not autocross either) How about built one?

I've worked on the Men's Health Roock Porsche GT2 pit crew, crewed for 3 SCCA Pro Rally teams. I've built 2 rally cars and hold a valid SCCA license, organized a dyno day at Adrenalin motorsport in Auburn MA. Not that it's important, there are many others with more experience around but when you say that

"I must not know what I'm doing".

And you reference information that you misconstrue, you look like you're the one that doesn't know what he's doing.

You must be more experienced with stuff like this cause you're trying to call on all your consenting BMW brandwhores to back you up.

Anyway, I know you don't like this car. I don't really care. If you were presenting a good argument against it I'd give you more credit but you only seem to be able to throw a couple of limpfisted punches my way with "Rice" this and "rice" that.

I gotta get back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.